St. Turibius wins CYO soccer title
The St. Turibius School boys’ soccer team won its third straight CYO boys soccer title May 18, defeating St. Lawrence Martyr of Redondo Beach 3-1, to continue the Warriors’ three-year winning streak (their last defeat was in May 2011).
The Warriors were led by soccer coach and seventh grade teacher RaymondMoreno, who has coached the Warriors since 2005, and eighth graders (and co-captains Rene Diaz and Edwin Ocampo), who have started every game since they were sixth graders. St. Turibius is the parish school of St. Joseph Church, located on Essex Street in downtown Los Angeles.
In the third place game, American Martyrs of Manhattan Beach defeated St. Raymond of Downey, 4-1. Several Catholic high schools hosted the boys’ soccer tournament, including Damien, Cantwell Sacred Heart of Mary, St. Pius-St. Matthias Academy, Crespi, St. Paul and La Salle.
More from this section:
- Our Lady of Fatima in Artesia wins CYO Girls Basketball Championship
- Our Lady of Fatima in Artesia wins CYO Boys Basketball Championship
- L.A. Angels owner awards full college scholarships to two Sacred Heart H.S. students
- 2015 Special Olympics World Games
- Thousands of volunteers ready to help as ‘Fans in the Stands’