St. Mary Medical Center receives patient safety excellence award
Dignity Health St. Mary Medical Center in Long Beach recently achieved its third consecutive Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award, placing it in the top 10 percent of all hospitals nationwide for its superior performance in safeguarding patients from potentially preventable complications during their hospital stays.
According to Healthgrades, a leading online resource for comprehensive information about physicians and hospitals, patients treated at hospitals named 2014 Patient Safety Excellence Award recipients were, on average, 73 percent less likely to experience hospital-acquired pressure sores or bed sores compared to hospitals ranked in the bottom 5 percent in the nation.
Additionally, patients were 72 percent less likely to experience a hip fracture following surgery (once again compared to hospitals ranked in the bottom 5 percent for patient safety).
“Dignity Health is totally focused on the patient experience and what is known in the industry as the ‘No Harm Campaign,’” said Tom Salerno, St. Mary president and CEO. “St. Mary achieved particularly noteworthy results. This is a very safe hospital.”
To learn more information about Healthgrades or to download a full copy of the 2014 Patient Safety Excellence report, visit www.Healthgrades.com/quality.
More from this section:
- St. Anthony H.S. welcomes largest freshman class in over 20 years
- St. John Vianney Church celebrates 50th anniversary, continues ministry
- Junípero Serra selects Thomas Stafford to lead marketing and admissions
- Holy Innocents Church to join day of protest against Planned Parenthood
- Ss. Peter and Paul Parish celebrates sesquicentennial, 1865-2015