Pilgrim icon of ‘Black Madonna’ comes to area
The parish community of Holy Innocents Church in Long Beach is inviting Los Angeles Catholics to be part of a historic event Aug. 9 and 10: the local leg of a worldwide pilgrimage of the “Black Madonna,” which will begin outside Family Planning Associates (FPA), an abortion clinic in Long Beach.
According to event organizers, participants will be praying “to end abortion in our land, to restore the culture of life and to heal all those who have been wounded by [abortion]” through the intercession of Our Lady of Czestochowa, also known as the Black Madonna, who is revered by the Polish people, including the late Pope St. John Paul II.
The event will begin Aug. 9 with a rosary at 2:30 p.m. outside the FPA clinic, located at 2777 Long Beach Blvd. Following the rosary, there will be a procession with the pilgrim icon to 2960 Pacific Ave., a Planned Parenthood chemical abortion facility. Afterwards, the group will process to Holy Innocents School, located at 2500 Pacific Ave., for 5 p.m. Mass.
Veneration of the Black Madonna will be available the next day during all Sunday Masses at Holy Innocents Church, located at 425 E. 20th St. in Long Beach.
The Black Madonna will also be presented in Glendale on Aug. 12 at Holy Family Church, (6 p.m. holy hour, 7 p.m. Mass), and Aug. 13 where a rosary prayer will be held in front of an abortion clinic, 8-11 a.m. at 372 W. Arden Ave. Information: (818) 281-2934.
More from this section:
- St. Anthony of Padua School vice principal and former Miss America publishes faith-based memoir
- Mary Star of the Sea High School student body raises $1,200 to assist fellow student
- St. Anthony High School celebrates campus renovations with alumnus Cardinal William Levada
- Holy Innocents Church to host community Thanksgiving celebration
- St. Catherine Laboure Church honors parishioner who earned new LEM national certification