St. Thomas Aquinas School celebrates golden anniversary
When St. Thomas Aquinas School in Monterey Park first opened its doors in1963, there were five Sisters of St. Joseph of Newark teaching the 50 enrolled students.
Today the school boasts nearly 300 students and continues to carry on in the tradition of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Newark with an expansive lay faculty.
This year, the school marks 50 years with a celebration culminating with a Gala and Auction on June 13. Throughout the year, parents, students and alumni have organized and participated in a variety of celebratory events including a wine social, open house, a jog-a-thon and other school activities. “The kids had a great time this year celebrating the school’s birthday,” says parent Elena Nlhoa.
Indeed, when Nlhoa toured the school with alumni during a recent social, she saw how overwhelmed they were about their old school grounds. “They were impressed how technology, like smart boards, is in every classroom,” she said adding they also had fond memories of former teachers and principals.
The school continues to expand, having just added a pre-K class last year. “Alumni who were grandparents were very excited to see that,” said Nlhoa.
More from this section:
- Bosco Tech senior to perform in 2016 Tournament of Roses Honor Band
- Bosco Tech graduate places in America’s Cup of rocket science
- St. Lucy’s Priory High School celebrates 51st annual “Home for the Holidays” Christmas boutique
- Chelsea Clinton inspires students at San Gabriel Mission High School
- Fletcher Jones Foundation awards $250,000 to Bosco Tech for emerging technologies