SGV Children’s Choir to join with Sistine Chapel Choir to sing for pope
The dates have been set — January 2016 — and now all that’s left to do is practice, practice and practice.
Members of the Pueri Cantores San Gabriel Valley will join young choirists from around the world to sing and present a joint concert at the Church of St. Ignatius and sing at Mass with Pope Francis in 2016. The local group was invited by the director of the Sistine Chapel Choir to participate in the Epiphany Choir Festival of Children and Youth in Rome.
Pueri Cantores director Patrick Flahive was also recently selected as co-director of the festival which will culminate in a Papal Mass on Jan. 6, 2016.
Formed in 1993, Pueri Cantores (or “Young Singers”) San Gabriel Valley is a venue for Los Angeles-area youth to join in song with fellow choirists, here and aboard. The choir sang for the dedication of the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels and has participated in many ceremonies and concerts including eight international and several domestic tours, LA Opera performances and recordings for television and film.
Auditions are currently taking place for youth ages 7 and older. Information: http: //puericantoressgv.org or call (626) 918-3994 or (626) 374-2410.
More from this section:
- Los Angeles Catholics to build Habitat for Humanity home
- Don Bosco Tech band earns highest honors at music festival
- Sister Nancy Jo Uhl makes her final vows
- St. Louise de Marillac Church to host Respect for Life conference
- San Gabriel Mission High School wins Horizon League championship in soccer, advances to CIF Playoffs